Tumut Snow Bunnies Ride Report

The weather bureau got it right, a large cold front did smash Victoria and NSW but there were pockets of opportunity that made the ride quite enjoyable albeit a bit chilly.

Friday afternoon saw three of us meeting at Bungendore as planned, although Wayne C rode the last twenty minutes in a storm cell but arrived dry inside. We all had good wet weather gear that would come in handy later on.

Saturday morning we awoke to blue skies so decided to stick to plan “A” and head into Tallanganda SF. The trails were nice and loamy and only the occasional puddle in the table drain, basically it doesn’t get much better.

Through Tallanganda and down to Jingera where we headed North for a lunch break at Michaelago and a warm cuppa. The temperature was still single digit which would remain until we got home Sunday.

After lunch we crossed the mighty Murrumbidgee at Angle Crossing and headed for Cotter Dam, mainly tar along here but a nice road with lots to look at, particularly the snow-capped Brindabella’s. It was decided to take the cruisey option into Wee Jasper as the fire trails would have led us up into that snow. Besides a misty drizzle had appeared by this stage so we bee lined it. The Wee Jasper Tumut Rd is all-weather and in my opinion a bit like Wombeyan Caves Rd and offers more traction wet than dry except for the odd red mushy bits. We all arrived at Tumut to nice fire a cold beer and top dinner.

Sunday morning was misty but not raining. We headed back along the Wee Jasper Rd and turned North up Red Hill Rd to head to Jugiong. I have never been along here before and I know for sure I will return especially where you follow the Murrumbidgee for a while.

That misty drizzle followed us through to Booroowa where we stopped and had a cuppa with Trevor and Ros Hewitt, they have settled in well and look happy as. After smoko my self and Paul headed north for Wyangala and then Home to the Blue Mountains. Wayne C headed for Rye Park, Gunning and home to Sydney. Our journey became clearer  as we headed north with quite fine conditions in Cowra for lunch. Wyangala was given a miss due to the red clay trails that would have been messy.

Oberon lived up to its reputation, snow on the ground and two degrees, sounds cold but it was warm enough that black ice wasn’t a worry. By the way Oberon was the only place we saw snow up  close, even the Brindabellas only had snow on the peaks.

Looking forward to a repeat next year although the date will be moving to warmer months.

Wayne McNaughton (KTM 690) Paul Grech (KTM 690)  Wayne Croker ( Tiger 800)