Karuah River Rally Ride Report

Met up with Tony Conliffe at Wiseman’s as planned in the Thursday morning and headed through to Singleton to meet up with Les Gardener and Geoff Wormald. A quick snack and we headed to Dungog cake shop to meet up with Tony Maher.

A nice run up to Comboyne via back roads and forest trails here and there. It was fairly warm at Singleton but the temperature dropped as we climbed up the range towards Comboyne and it was actually a bit fresh as a few storm cells were hovering around. We managed to stay dry except for a couple of short light showers.

Met up with Les’ brother Bill at Comboyne and had a few bevvies at the club before heading ten minutes up the road to the farm we were staying at. It is in a beautiful setting overlooking the valley down to Tom’s Creek.

A lovely BBQ dinner, with a history lesson of the Gardeners. Les’ and Bill’s grandparents settled in the area in 1905 and their other brother now owns the property, while Bill is on another farm. There is even a Gardeners Lane up the road.

We woke to a beautiful morning with all the storm cells gone. A hearty bacon and egg breakfast and it was time to head to Moonan Flat.

Thanks Bill for the hospitality. I think a visit next year is on the cards.

Down Toms Creek Rd to head for Gingers Creek for smoko. We then did a couple of trails through Stockyard Creek rest stop to eventually head down Enfield Rd to make our way through Mummel Gulf NP. Enfield Rd had just been graded and has had a heap of logging trucks use it. This caused bulldust for about 8k that was about a foot deep, making for interesting times.

After surviving the dust the rest of the day went well, except Les getting a flat. The trails were terrific all the way to Woolomin for a late lunch and fuel at Nundle. We then headed for Moonan Flat for a well-earned beer.

The usual suspects were waiting to meet us. Al, Gareth, Lyndon, Gary Nudd, Warren Sakey and big Col. Sorry if I forgot anyone! A good night and feed as usual then off to bed.

An overnight storm wet the trails just enough to have a dust free run over Tomalia to Gloucester for supplies and lunch. A good run had us at the rally early afternoon.

By now the temperature was rising steadily so a dip in the river was the order of the day. Gerry and Mara were there with a chair and swimmers.

The usual good turnout of punters and a good feed and awards, etc. A good night was had by all and we made our way home in Sunday.

Wayne McNaughton